IPMS NSW runs a range of competitions throughout each year – a main “End of Year” competition across all model categories, as well as several “special competitions” run on certain dates.
There are no fees charged to enter any competition, and in general no references are required. All that is needed is for you to bring your model in on the day. Judging is done by experienced members of the club. Though there is no requirement to participate, everyone is encouraged to enter as often as they would like.
Details about the various competitions are shown below.
End of Year Competition
This is a general competition held in November each year and is the largest single event on the club calendar. All types of models are represented, and all club members are free to enter as many categories as they wish. Competition categories are as follows:-
- Military Aircraft – large scale (1:32nd and larger)
- Military Aircraft – medium scale (1:48th and similar)
- Military Aircraft – small scale (1:72nd and smaller)
- Helicopters – all scales
- Civilian Aircraft – all scales
- Military Vehicles – large scale (1:35th and larger)
- Military Vehicles – medium & small scale (1:48th and smaller)
- Cars & Trucks – Street and Custom – large scale (1:18th and larger)
- Cars & Trucks – Street and Custom – small scale (1:24th and smaller)
- Cars & Trucks – Competition – large scale (1:18th and larger)
- Cars & Trucks – Competition – small scale (1:24th and smaller)
- Motorbikes – all scales
- Ships – all scales
- Figures – all scales
- Dioramas & Vignettes – all scales
- Space, Science Fiction and Fantasy – all scales
Models which have previously won a place (1st, 2nd, 3rd) in the End of Year Competition may not be entered again. All categories will be run provided there is at least one entry.
Wing Commander Connolly Memorial Training Aircraft Competition
Run once per year – this competition has training aircraft as its theme. Any aircraft used for training, no matter the scale or era, is eligible to enter.
Club Group Build
Each year the club runs a “group build”, a competition where everyone who enters builds the exact same model kit, with only basic modifications allowed. There are three categories, one each for aircraft, military vehicles and cars. The group build is a fun way to test your skills against fellow model-makers on a level playing field as well as to compare techniques.
Modifications allowed to the subject for each category is as follows:-
- Aircraft – alternative paint schemes and decals are permitted. Ariels and other rigging is allowed. Seat belts may be added.
- Military Vehicles - alternative paint schemes and decals are permitted. Ariels may be added, along with various forms of "battle damage" - for example missing side skirts on tanks.
- Cars – any paint scheme is permitted. Engine wiring and seatbelts may be added
IPMS Memorial trophy
The IPMS memorial trophy is run in honour of former members who have contributed to the club. The subject for the memorial trophy is the Supermarine Spitfire. All scales and types of Spitfire kit are permitted to be entered, provided they have not won a place in a previous year's competition.
Wood, Wire & Canvas
The subject for this competition is any aircraft used in World War 1, or biplanes from later eras built using “traditional construction” – i.e. wood, wire and canvas. All scales are permitted. Unlike other IPMS NSW competitions, reference material is encouraged and forms part of the judging criteria. A substantial prize (usually a Wingnut Wings kit) is awarded to the winner.